Mentoring by the Masters 2017 is the fifth instalment of this flagship programme co-ordinated by the Ministry of Community Development, Culture and the Arts. Applications were invited in May 2017 via advertisements placed in traditional and digital media. Workshops were held at varied venues over 10 weeks for the successful applicants. Each module culminated in a public showcase of the work of the mentees as produced under the guidance of their mentors.
The areas of focus for the 2017 programme were as follows:
- Children’s Mas – Mentor Rosalind Gabriel
- Fancy Indian Mas – Mentor Lionel Jagessar Sr.
- Aspects of Music Production and the Business of Music – Mentor Simeon Sandiford
- Ifa/Orisha Traditions – Mentor Janice Patricia Mc Leod
- Professional Development in Broadcasting – Mentor Sharon Pitt
The Mentoring of the Masters Award Ceremony is a celebration of the programme as well as the overarching achievements of the mentors themselves during their creative careers.